© Images et Rêves / Isère Attractivité
Accelerating transitions with Green Grenoble
As winner of the 2022 European Green Capital, Grenoble fully intends to ramp up its actions to speed up the ecological transition by building momentum around GreenGrenoble2022. Based on a broad consensus of partners, Green Grenoble is committed to promoting all kinds of action to combat climate change for a more liveable future, by proving that new economic shifts are fully compatible with respect for nature and social fulfilment.
• In 2022, Grenoble will produce the equivalent of its energy consumption using 100% green electricity : 0% fossil fuels, 0% nuclear.
• Goal of carbon neutrality by 2040.
• 35% of the Grenoble area will be covered by urban canopy in 2030 and 40% in 2050. It will create 10 new natural spaces, including 4 new parks.
• 15,000 trees will be planted between now and 2030.
• A million trees will be planted in the department of Isère over the next six years.
• All concrete actions will be joint undertakings. All actions will be the fruit of inter-institutional, public and private collaboration: joint efforts, ensuring effective results.
• The Villeneuve district will soon be the first working class ecodistrict in France.
• Public transport provided by the Syndicat Mixte des Mobilités de l’Aire Grenobloise will be 100% low-carbon.
• Crit'Air 3 vehicles will be banned in the ZFE-m zone from 2022 and diesel vehicles (CQA2) will be banned from 2025.
• A citizens’ convention on climate with 150 citizens will be organised from 2021.
• Renovation of public buildings belonging to the Department of Isère will make it possible to significantly reduce the carbon impact of heating flows.
• Action taken by the division for the development of agriculture and agrifood in the area will be reinforced to further involve Isère-based producers and crafts men and women in supplying of middle school canteens through short circuits.
• Middle school pupils will be made aware of environmental best practices through a number of actions funded by the Department, such as making their own compost, contributing to the circular economy, discovering the sensitive natural areas and agricultural sectors of Isère, combating food waste, etc. Goal: become ambassadors for a more sustainable lifestyle.
Science, culture and citizen participation
At the heart of the action, Grenoble is calling on each and every individual to get involved in creating the city of the future ! Culture will transcend the 2022 Green Grenoble programme and will benefit from collaborative links with Kaunas in Lithuania, the 2022 European Capital of Culture. Science and knowledge lie at the heart of the area’s environmental challenges as well as its strengths. They will also form an integral part of the Green Grenoble project through a multidisciplinary scientific committee. Citizen participation, a key feature of local life in Grenoble, will play a central role in adapting the area of the new challenges it faces, while incorporating public needs and expectations.
Accelerating transition in a concrete manner
Based on 12 challenges, Green Grenoble aims to :
• Protect resources, and in particular: nature and biodiversity, air, water, energy and eco-innovation,
• Reduce noise, waste and pollution,
• And adapt to climate change be transforming practices in terms of mobility and the use of space, materials and energy.
Green Grenoble, a committed and resilient territory
Beyond simple words and ambitions, the process of change undertaken in the year as Green Capital must give rise to concrete progress in the years to come. All the partners involved will organise, promote and document the events and actions taken to ensure their long-lasting continuation beyond 2022.
Each public and private partner of Grenoble European Green Capital 2022 has taken part in the establishment of the twelve challenges to build a resilient and innovative territory. The key to success : concrete commitments !